Walls To The Priory Hotel is a grade two star (II*) listed building in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP32. It was first listed in 1952.
About Walls To The Priory Hotel
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL86NE MILDENHALL ROAD 639-1/13/475 Walls to The Priory Hotel 07/08/52 (Formerly Listed as: MILDENHALL ROAD Boundary Walls of Babwell Friary)
Walls, partly boundary walls to the present property but also with a length of wall relating to the former Babwell Friary, refounded on this site in the 1260s. Part medieval, part C18 and C19. In flint, brick and stone. A 45-metre stretch in a mixture of brick, flint and stone with old mortar and a sloped coping extends from the south-west corner of The Priory Hotel (qv) and then turns north-east along the Tollgate Lane towards Thetford Road for c150 metres. The varied north-east stretch is approximately 2 metres high: mainly in rubble flint with red brick coping, but also with a mixture of old red brick; one section has red brick banding. Linked to this boundary stretch and extending diagonally from it inside the grounds is a 100-metre length of Friary wall. Approximately 3 metres high, in rubble flint with an inserted pointed-arched doorway in C18 white brick. To the north of the house the wall extends for about 170 metres along the Mildenhall Road: more than 3 metres high, in coursed and random flint, divided into bays by ‘pilasters’ of C20 brick. The Babwell Friary remains are a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Where is Walls To The Priory Hotel?
Walls To The Priory Hotel is located on Mildenhall Road, in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP32.
|Grid Reference||TL 85088 65952|
|Easting, Northing||585088, 265952.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||52.260569, 0.710617|
|Grade listing||II* (two star)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022596|