Upper Swinley Farmhouse is a grade two (II) listed building in Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire, SN14. It was first listed in 1988.
About Upper Swinley Farmhouse
KINGTON ST MICHAEL STANTON ROAD
ST 97 NW
8/142 Upper Swinley Farmhouse
Farmhouse, C17 origins, remodelled in later C18, rubble stone with stone slate roof, hipped at north west angle, ashlar end stacks and large front ridge stack with three diagonal shafts. Two storeys and attic, L-plan with double-fronted east front of 3-light cyma- moulded flush mullion windows of C18 type each side of door in ashlar surround set in mid C19 porch with coped gable, arched front entry and Tudor-arched side entries. Reset datestone WC 1639 in gable. North front has one-window range of similar windows to left and brick lean-to to right. South end wall has sundial in gable. Parallel rear range with south stack. Interior not inspected. From 1583 leased by Hungerford family to Coller family, sold to them 1651. Sold to Rev G. Estcourt c1652 and house described as newly built in 1664 at his death. In the C19 farm was part of the Neeld of Grittleton estate. (J. Badeni Wiltshire Forefathers 1960 94-5; Wiltshire Notes and Queries 2 1899 351, 394)
Where is Upper Swinley Farmhouse?
Upper Swinley Farmhouse is located on Stanton Road, in Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire, SN14.
|Grid Reference||ST 90521 79211|
|Easting, Northing||390521, 179211.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.511747, -2.137984|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022342|