The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways To South is a grade two (II) listed building in Colerne, Wiltshire, SN14. It was first listed in 1985.
About The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways To South
COLERNE QUARRY LANE ST 8271 (east side) 8/301 The Manor House and 2 garden gateways to south
House, dated 1689 but of earlier origins, heavily rebuilt 1900 by W. J. Wilcox of Bath. Rubble stone, part rough rendered with ashlar dressings and small ashlar block with black mortar joints to 1900 work. Stone tiled roofs with coped gables and elaborate 1900 circular shafted stacks, to end walls, front ridge and 2 on rear ridge, paired shafts, except east end single shaft and rear ridge row of 4 axial shafts. Two storey and attic, L-plan. South front, rough rendered with central straight joint; to left, door and ovolo-moulded cross window above, both 1900, to right later C20 doorway and ground floor 1900 ovolo-moulded cross window. East gable end has fine inset 2-storey C17 3-sided canted stone bay with 3-light windows to front, single-lights to side. 1900 3-light attic window. To right moulded string returned to north side with 4-light mullion window below, central king mullion. Oval light above. North return has blank 2-light ovolo-moulded window to ground floor. Rear wing, east front, has moulded eaves cornice, 1900 2-light window and single light to first floor and renewed 3 and 4-light windows below with section of string course between. C20 projecting summer-room with coped east gable. West front wholly of 1900, with 2-light mullion windows to upper floor and attic and two 4-light cross-windows flanking gabled porch. Within porch, reset 1689 plaque set up by E., A. and F. Hunt to commemorate coronation of William and Mary, and an inscription recording rebuilding for Mrs. A. Walmesley 1900. Flanking south front are 2 opposed late C17 or early C18 ashlar gateways with moulded architraves, broken pediments and ball finials.
Where is The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways To South?
The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways To South is located on Quarry Lane, in Colerne, Wiltshire, SN14.
|Grid Reference||ST 82128 71210|
|Easting, Northing||382128, 171210.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.439602, -2.258517|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022940|