The Greathouse is a grade two star (II*) listed building in Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15. It was first listed in 1960.
About The Greathouse
KINGTON LANGLEY SWINDON ROAD ST 97 NW (east side)
8/95 The Greathouse
House, late C17, extended 1910, rubble stone with stone slate roofs and tall ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic, courtyard plan. Fine formal nine-window west front with flush quoins, two dripcourses, parapet and hipped roof with ridge stack set to left. Windows are ovolo-moulded stone cross windows with leaded lights. Central door in bolection-moulded surround with fine shell hood on scroll brackets. Door is c1910 copy of original south side door. South side has two ridge stacks, 2-window range to left of porch, one-window range to right then long c1910 addition with two large 1:2:2:2:1-light canted bays. c1910 east gable. Porch is ashlar, gabled with steep stone slate roof and moulded coping. Large bolection-moulded entry with moulded cornice over. In gable corniced sundial. Sides have moulded course over openings with turned balusters. Moulded and stopped inner doorcase with 2-light overlight and lattice-patterned plank door. East front is wholly of 1907-10 with centre inscription recording work for C. Garnett Esq. Formal E-plan 3-gabled front, the wings further advanced than the centre, the gables with top and shoulder finials. Mullion and mullion-and-transom windows, the centrepiece with pilastered doorcase and segmental-pedimented cross window above in well- detailed later C17 manner. Two ridge stacks. Simpler service wing gable projects to right of main front. North side has seven window range similar to west front with cross windows, an eighth bay added to left c1910. Service wing runs parallel to left end. Interiors: one fine fielded panelled room with dentilled cornice and Baroque doorcase and fireplace, early C18 style, on south side, now subdivided for entrance hall. West front entrance hall has panelling, plaster frieze, plaster decoration to beams and ceiling and moulded stone square-headed fireplace. All late C17 in style but plasterwork probably early C20. Early C20 staircase. Upstairs south-west room has bolection-moulded corner fireplace with shelf. House is said to have been owned by the Coleman family (William Coleman died 1738) from c1700, lords of the manor, who later moved from there to the Manor House (q.v.) opposite when it became a farmhouse until restored by Charles Garnett 1907-10. Now a Leonard Cheshire Foundation Home. (June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960, 90)
Where is The Greathouse?
The Greathouse is located on Swindon Road, in Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15.
|ST 92956 77077
|II* (two star)
|English Heritage List Entry Number