The Almhouses is a grade two (II) listed building in Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14. It was first listed in 1988.
About The Almhouses
GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE ST 87 NE
7/14 Nos 1-8 (consec) The Almshouses
Row of almshouses, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and clustered ashlar stacks, one group of four on each wing, two on centre ridge. Two storeys. Long centre range with projecting gabled wings each end. Tudor style with raised plinth, dripcourse and 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has 5- window range, the upper windows under eaves-breaking shouldered gables. Centre gable has blank shield plaque over 2-light with small single light each side and ground floor heavy projecting open porch with shouldered gable, shield and crest and depressed Tudor- arched openings on three sides. Tudor-arched entry gives on to spine passage with access to four almshouses. A low wall each side of porch front connects to wings. Wings have door and first floor 2-light on inner sides, 2-step shouldered gables with ashlar coping, shield plaques, first floor two light windows and ground floor triangular bay windows to south end walls. Bay windows have centre buttress and two Tudor-arched lights each side. Wings have diagonal angle buttresses. (Wiltshire Record Office, 1620/43 has original designs by Thomson dated 1848, showing a front cloister on low front wall, not actually built)
Where is The Almhouses?
The Almhouses is located on 1-8, in Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14.
|Grid Reference||ST 88484 79281|
|Easting, Northing||388484, 179281.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.512339, -2.167339|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022291|