Oriel House is a grade two (II) listed building in Hilperton, Wiltshire, BA14. It was first listed in 1988.
About Oriel House
ST 85 NE 7/16 HILPERTON HILL STREET (west side) No 74 (Oriel House)
GV II Semi-detached house. Early C18 and 1844, altered early C20. Limestone, ashlar, Welsh slate roof with coped verges and ashlar stacks. Two storeys with attic, three bays with two storey C18 wing to rear right (part of this now belonging to No 73 (q.v.)). Central, gabled, three storey porch having a two-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement window to ground and first floors, a one-light casement to attic, all with hoodmoulds and cast-iron hexagonal glazing bars, and in the gable a datestone with relief lettering, 1844/C&C; Tudor-arched board door with hoodmould to right return.
Three-light mullioned casement windows to outer bays, that on ground floor left replaced by early C20 bay window, that to ground floor right with glazing bars as porch, otherwise early C20 small-paned iron casements.Gable ends of main range each have a canted bay window to ground floor, a two-light mullioned casement to first floor, and a one-light window to attic. Right return has principal facade of the wing, which has two three-light ovolo-moulded mullion casements to each floor (and a later one-light window between them on ground floor), later outshut added to rear of wing, the roofing metal sweeping up to cover a stone believed to be dated 1727.
Interior: the C18 wing has an inglenook fireplace with chamfer stone jambs and timber bressumer; in the same room a large scantling chamfered spine beam. The C19 range has contemporary doors, decorative fireplaces, light roses and cantilevered stone stair with decorative iron balusters.
From 1909 to 1933 the house was occupied by Sir Edward Wallington, treasurer to Queen Mary.
Where is Oriel House?
Oriel House is located on 74, Hill Street, in Hilperton, Wiltshire, BA14.
|Grid Reference||ST 87222 59532|
|Easting, Northing||387222, 159532.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.334737, -2.184805|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1021777|