Market Hall is a grade two (II) listed building in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14. It was first listed in 1971.
About Market Hall
MARKET STREET 1. 5411 (South Side) Market Hall ST 8557 7/100 3.2.71. II
Former Market Chambers. Now only skin deep front to modern shopping mall. 1861. Attributed to C. E. Davis. 3 storeyed, stone building in Italinate style with gabled central attic. Wide front with 5 round headed windows in attic and 5 openings each to ground and 1st floors. Large brackets to eaves and gable. Impost mouldings, billet hoods and stiff leaf foliage to 2nd floor imposts. Sculpted vesca above in centre containing Lamb and Flag and Wheatsheaf emblems. Stiff leaf foliage impost to 1st floor openings; also billet hoods, and panels below windows (all late glazed sashes). Open arcade (in antis) on ground floor with round piers, very stiff leaf capitals and plant motifs and motto outer order inscribed from left to right: “The Earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof”; “Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord”, “Erected A.D. 1861 by William Stancomb Lord of the Manor”; “A false balance is abomination to the Lord”; “Owe no man anything”. The engaged capitals at each end further sculptured with, to right, a plough with sheep and, to left, woolsack and 2 sorts of spinning wheels.
Where is Market Hall?
Market Hall is located on Market Street, in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14.
|Grid Reference||ST 85656 57905|
|Easting, Northing||385656, 157905.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.32007, -2.207218|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1021622|