Manor House, Purton, Wiltshire, SN5 (Grade II)

Manor House is a grade two (II) listed building in Purton, Wiltshire, SN5. It was first listed in 1958.

This is a description of a house called the Manor House. It is a big house that was built a long time ago. It has a lot of special features, like a big porch and lots of windows. It originally belonged to a religious group called the Malmesbury Abbey, but they lost it during a time when the government was getting rid of religious groups. Then it was owned by a family called the Bennets, and then a family called the Jays. But it was rebuilt by someone called Lord Chandos in the late 1500s. Now it is just a regular house.

About Manor House

SU 08 NE PURTON CHURCH END



8/299 Manor House (formerly listed as Manor House 17.1.58 together with Tithe Barn and Pigeon House)



Manor House, late C16 and 1682. Altered c.1900. Limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Stone slate roofs. Two storeys and attics. Five-bays. Central cross passage to lateral hall on right, stair at upper end, rear. Wings developed on bays 1 and 5 to rear. Central 2 storey porch with round torus moulded arch. Inner door C19. Heavy string course and eaves corbel table. Flat roof and low parapet. Four-light ovolo moulded windows to main block under continuous string course to ground floor, label mouldings to upper floors. Central and end bays raised as gables with coped apex and 3-light mullioned windows. Large external stacks at ends with 4 brick diagonal shafts to left end, 3 to right and 4 other brick stacks, all lowered c.1900. Stair protrudes as tower to rear and C19-C20 extensions. End gable porch on right with date 1682 and Sun Insurance mark, No 425563. Interior: altered c.1900 and recently modernised. The property originally belonged to Malmesbury Abbey until the Dissolution, then passed through Bennet and Jay families until rebuilt by Lord Chandos in late C16. An imposing building in a picturesque setting. (Elyard S.J. Some Old Wiltshire Homes, 1894).


Where is Manor House?

Manor House is located on Church End, in Purton, Wiltshire, SN5.


Key Facts

Grid ReferenceSU 09631 87195
Easting, Northing409631, 187195.36084
Latitude, Longitude51.583536, -1.862395
Grade listingII (two)
English Heritage List Entry Number1023170
Spotted something that’s incorrect?