Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box is a grade two (II) listed building in Purton, Wiltshire, SN26. It was first listed in 1986.
This is a signal box from the 1870s that was moved to its current location at some point. It is made of wood and originally had a zinc roof, although that is being restored. The signal box was built by Saxby and Farmer for the Great Western Railway Company and is an example of a signal box from that time period.
About Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box
SU 18 NW 9/273
PURTON, TADPOLE LANE, Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box
(Formerly listed under BLUNSDEN ROAD)
Signal box. c.1870 by Saxby and Farmer for the Great Western Railway Co (Broad Gauge). Timber framing and weatherboarding, originally zinc roof, now (June 1985) undergoing restoration. Original studding with grooved weatherboarding and original roofline. Temporary base, and original brick stack removed and boarded over as later GWR modification, as is external stair and 5-light sliding sashes. Interior has a Great Western 5-bar vertical frame and instrument shelf by Saxby and Farmer. Listed as an example of a signal box built for the new semaphore signalling system introduced c.1870 with modifications carried out by the Company up to 1913. Removed from Gorse Hill, Swindon, and re-erected on this site.
Where is Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box?
Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box is located on Tadpole Lane, in Purton, Wiltshire, SN26.
|English Heritage List Entry Number