Church Of St Peter is a grade two (II) listed building in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33. It was first listed in 1986.
About Church Of St Peter
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NW HOSPITAL ROAD 639-1/10/458 (North side) 09/06/86 Church of St Peter
District church, attached to the parish church of St Mary. 1858, by JH Hakewill. In polychromatic bands of flint with freestone dressings. Nave and chancel have a plinth in black knapped flint with alternating bands of black knapped and random flint above; the main walling is a mixture of random kidney flint and ragstone. Stone-faced angle buttresses at the east and west ends. C20 plaintiled roofs. High Victorian Early English style. PLAN: nave and chancel united as a single cell under one roof; vestry on the north side; a south-west tower, which also acts as a porch. EXTERIOR: single-, 2-, and 3-light windows with plate tracery, their pointed heads outlined with alternating blocks of stone and black knapped flint. The 3-light east window has in addition cusped plate tracery, and the wall below is banded alternately in black knapped flint and stone. The tower is topped by a small shingled broach spire: lancets to the south face; on each face of the top stage a 2-light window with plate tracery, the lights infilled with stone which is pierced by vertical rows of quatrefoils. Pointed south doorway and a similar west doorway beneath continuous rectangular hood-moulds and multiple moulding. INTERIOR: wide and plain and retains its original fittings. Plain benches. Stone font with Early English decoration. Stone pulpit with attached lectern and reading desk. Panelled stone reredos behind the altar. The nave roof has plain boarding; the chancel roof is boarded, panelled and coloured. Wooden chancel arch carried on angel brackets with colonnettes. Kempe style east window, 1909. Included as an example of High Victorian Evangelical single-cell church-planning in counter-distinction to the additive, sub-divided contemporary Tractarian church plan.
Where is Church Of St Peter?
Church Of St Peter is located on Hospital Road, in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33.
|Grid Reference||TL 85112 63788|
|Easting, Northing||585112, 263788.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||52.241128, 0.709783|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022563|