Church Of St Paul is a grade two (II) listed building in Staverton, Wiltshire, BA14. It was first listed in 1988.
About Church Of St Paul
ST 86 SE STAVERTON STAVERTON VILLAGE (west side)
5/220 Church of St Paul
Anglican parish church. 1826. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges with cross finials. Plan: short west tower, nave and chancel under one roof with small sanctuary, south porch and north vestry. Gabled porch has moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and cross over, lancets to side. Nave has 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window either side of porch. Sanctuary has 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window to east. Small gabled north vestry with pair of shouldered lights and corbelled stone stacks. North side of nave has three 3-light depressed Tudor-arched windows. Two-stage tower has no string courses; planked shouldered west doorway, 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window over, bellstage with 2-light pointed louvred windows, shallow gabled roof with coped verges. Interior. Porch has fixed stone benches, Tudor-arched double panelled doors into nave, collar rafter roof. Nave and chancel under same roof have Tudor-arched barrel-vaulted ceiling with moulded stone cornice. Moulded Tudor-arched tower arch and similar arch to Sanctuary at east end. Fittings: C19 octagonal limestone font near south door. Late C19 communion rail with foliage and vine-carving and open traceried panels. Stained glass in east window to Elizabeth Hargreaves died 1887. Metal commandment boards on east wall of chancel. Damaged canvas Royal Arms against west wall of tower, probably C19. Grey marble tablet with pediment on south wall to Jane Smith died 1778 and other family members up to 1856. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Where is Church Of St Paul?
Church Of St Paul is located on Staverton Village, in Staverton, Wiltshire, BA14.
|ST 85486 60855
|English Heritage List Entry Number