Church Of St Mary is a grade two star (II*) listed building in Nettleton, Wiltshire, SN14. It was first listed in 1960.
About Church Of St Mary
NETTLETON WEST KINGTON ST 87 NW 2/385 Church of St. Mary 20.12.60 GV II*
Anglican Parish Church, C13 and C15 West tower, otherwise rebuilt 1856 by S. B. Gabriel of Bristol. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs. Fine 3 stage tower with top stage similar to those at Yatton Keynell and Burton (Nettleton). South stair projection up to 2nd stage. 2-light Y-tracery west window to first stage, small single light cusped openings to second stage and ashlar C15 top stage with panelled sides, 3 panels each of 2 tiers of paired cusped panels, the upper centre pair a 2-light bell-opening with pierced stone screens. High panelled battlements and crocketted pinnacles. Body of church has nave and transepts of equal size, narrower chancel, south porch and north east vestry. Windows of Decorated type, generally 2-light with quatrefoil, some 3-light all with hoods. Buttresses at angles. South doorway is reused C13 with circular shafts, square abaci and imposts with interlace decoration and chamfered pointed arch. Interior broad, aisleless with wide scissor-braced rafter roofs. Tower arch has dogtooth ornament. Elaborate east window with Purbeck shafting and painted texts to chancel walls. Stained glass of c1856 by Bell of Bristol to east window, chancel north and south and to west window. Fine C15 Perpendicular style wood pulpit with ogee arches to panels. In south transept reset C16 wall monument with relief figures to A. P. (probably Anne Prator). Various tablets, mostly early C19 reset in tower. Bishop Hugh Latimer(c1490-1555) was rector from 1531.
Where is Church Of St Mary?
Church Of St Mary is located on Church Of St Mary, in Nettleton, Wiltshire, SN14.
|Grid Reference||ST 81288 77569|
|Easting, Northing||381288, 177569.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.496751, -2.270941|
|Grade listing||II* (two star)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1022974|