Church Of St James is a grade two star (II*) listed building in Marston Maisey, Wiltshire, SN6. It was first listed in 1986.
The Church of St. James is a beautiful Anglican church built in 1874. It has a tall spire, a rose window, and a large organ. The interior is very simple, with bare walls and a high ceiling. The font is in the south-west corner, and the pulpit is in the north-east corner. The pews are arranged in a U-shape around the altar.
About Church Of St James
SU 19 NW MARSTON MEYSEY THE STREET (west side)
2/252 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church, 1874-6 by James Brooks, replacing 2-cell church of 1648. Coursed limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave and chancel in 1 vessel and north vestry. Door in west end of south wall; pair of doors within splayed jambs set forward from wall face, and having 5 near-round chamfered arches and a hood mould. Lancet windows above a continuous string, also nearly round-headed with hoods. Similar but larger window at west end, triple lancets at east, with roundel vents over. Rose window with nail-head in west gable. Shallow buttresses define chancel. Arched opening in west gable apex contains bell. Vestry on north side with shouldered door under extension of roof. Tall chimney. Interior: Unplastered. Barrel boarded vault to nave. Chancel raised up 2 steps, the arch chamfered and with hood moulding, on corbels. Low screen wall faced with panels of encaustic tiles. Chancel of 2 bays, rectangular ribbed vault of stone on attached wall shafts. Capitals and ribs have nail-head decoration. Broad reveals to east window. Fittings: Octagonal font in coloured stones in south-west corner. Pulpit in banded limestone and sandstone pierced with quatrefoils and cantilevered from chancel screen. Piscina in arched recess in window jamb, the sill of which is lowered as simple sedilia. Brass sanctuary rail. Piscina in east window of vestry. Good glass of 1880-90 by Baguley of Newcastle on Tyne. Monuments: In nave, limestone wall memorial, C20 in form of low relief aedicule. A modest but carefully conceived and detailed design.
Where is Church Of St James?
Church Of St James is located on The Street, in Marston Maisey, Wiltshire, SN6.
|Grid Reference||SU 12755 97197|
|Easting, Northing||412755, 197197.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.673405, -1.816947|
|Grade listing||II* (two star)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1023152|