Chalcot House is a grade two star (II*) listed building in Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire, BA13. It was first listed in 1968.
About Chalcot House
DILTON MARSH CHALCOT PARK ST 84 NW (south side) 7/101 Chalcot House 11.9.68 GV II * Country house. Early C18, incorporating part of late C17 house, late C18 and 1872 additions and alterations by J.P. St Aubyn for the Phipps family. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings, stone slate hipped roof with brick stacks. Three-storey, 5-bay south front. Central half-glazed door with Ionic columns and pediment and chanelled rusticated surround with lion’s mask, two 12-pane sashes to sides with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over entablature and Ionic plasters. First floor has two 12-pane sashes flanking central semi-circular niche with urn, same arrangement of pediments above entablature and Corinthian pilasters. Second floor has 6-pane sashes flanking central panel with swags and panels with swags to sides, egg and dart capitals to pilasters, entablature below plain blocking course. Right return has 12-pane sash and three large sashes to right, all with flat arches and keystones, cast-iron rainwater heads with initials CPPHM and date 1872, plat band to first floor; five sashes, blocking course. Remains of truncated C19 service wing to right; former dining room with large half-octagonal front with plate glass sashes, now kitchen. Left return has two sashes to ground and first floors, two 6-pane sashes to second floor, 2-storey C19 range attached to left has canted bay to drawing room with French windows, plate glass sashes to first floor. Rear remodelled during 1970s to provide entrance in half-octagonal porch with pilasters and heraldic arms of Phipps family, central gabled wing with cornice. Interior extensively refitted during alterations of 1871; stair hall to rear containing stone stairs with cast-iron balustrade, joinery and fireplaces throughout house. Late C18 stairs retained from first floor to attics with turned balusters and moulded mahogany handrail. Late C17 roof truss said to be retained in attic partition wall. During 1970s extensive renovations by Pentagram Design Partnership included the demolition of the rambling 1870s service wing. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury ; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Where is Chalcot House?
Chalcot House is located on Chalcot House, in Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire, BA13.
|ST 84294 48824
|II* (two star)
|English Heritage List Entry Number