Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel, Trowbridge General Cemetery, Wiltshire, BA14 (Grade II)

Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel is a grade two (II) listed building in Trowbridge General Cemetery, Wiltshire, BA14. It was first listed in 1976.

About Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel

ST 8659 8/212 ST 8658 10/212



THE DOWN (East side) Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel



II 1854-55 by C.E. Davis of Bath. Modified Early English style. Low four bay chapel with short narrower polygonal chancel and a tower at north west end. Stone built, gabled buttresses, coped verges and tiled roof. Short lancets. Main entrance to west has pointed archway below staggered triplet, ironwork on doors. Three stage tower capped by small tented pyramidal roof over shaped corbel cornice. Upper stage with simple rectangular opening containing engaged shafts. Weathered capping to second stage with triple lancets and corner buttresses. Lower stage with pointed arches of two orders and label. Lean-to extension to east of lower stage, joined to chapel. Entrance below tower.


Where is Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel?

Cemetery, The South Mortuary Chapel is located on The Down, in Trowbridge General Cemetery, Wiltshire, BA14.


Key Facts

Grid ReferenceST 86204 58990
Easting, Northing386204, 158990.36084
Latitude, Longitude51.32984, -2.199397
Grade listingII (two)
English Heritage List Entry Number1021559
Spotted something that’s incorrect?