Cemetery Chapel, Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33 (Grade II)

Cemetery Chapel is a grade two (II) listed building in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33. It was first listed in 1997.

About Cemetery Chapel

BURY ST EDMUNDS



TL86 KING’S ROAD 639-1/13/465 Cemetery Chapel



Chapel. 1855. The survivor of 2 chapels, one for Anglicans and one for Nonconformists, designed by Mr Peck of Cooper & Peck of No.1 Furnivall’s Inn, London. Faced in coursed stone blocks of Kentish ragstone with freestone dressings; plaintiled roofs with ornamental ridge-tiles. Early English style. EXTERIOR: nave and chancel with 2 very short transepts; a small square turret, with octagonal top stage and a spirelet, is attached to the south side of the nave in the angle with the south transept. Roll-moulded stone sills. West entrance with multiple mouldings to the pointed arch and an outer keeled hood-mould with foliated bosses. A keeled stone band at impost level continues round the side walls below the window-sills. A further stepped band below the 3-light west window. All the windows are 3-light with cusped tracery, pointed hood-moulds and foliated bosses. Angle buttresses to the east and west ends, diagonal buttresses to the transepts. INTERIOR: not inspected.


Where is Cemetery Chapel?

Cemetery Chapel is located on Kings Road, in Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33.


Key Facts

Grid ReferenceTL 84443 64053
Easting, Northing584443, 264053.36084
Latitude, Longitude52.243733, 0.700141
Grade listingII (two)
English Heritage List Entry Number1022583
Spotted something that’s incorrect?