Ancliff Square chapel At Nos 1-4 The Old Court is a grade two (II) listed building in Westwood, Wiltshire, BA15. It was first listed in 1962.
About Ancliff Square chapel At Nos 1-4 The Old Court
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFFE (south side) 6/225 Nos 1-12 (consec) Ancliff 13.11.62 Square (formerly listed 14.6.88 as Nos 1-14 The Old Court) and chapel at Nos 1-4 The Old Court (formerly listed as Nos 1-14, The Old Court)
Weavers’ houses, then Bradford Union Workhouse, and attached chapel, now 12 houses. Weavers’ houses 1790s, converted to Workhouse 1836 and chapel added; restored and converted to houses late 1980s. Limestone ashlar, painted. Welsh slate roof to former chapel, otherwise stone slate roofs, with coped verges and stone stacks, left hand with replacement C20 tiles. Former weavers houses set in U-shaped court facing north with the chapel, now nos 7 (East Chapel) and 8 (West Chapel) and parts of nos 4-6, added to rear, centre. North elevation: 3 storeys; 11-bay main range, the 3 central bays breaking forward; 4-bay left hand wing, formerly extending further forward; 10-bay right hand wing of different builds. The main range centre- piece has: central 4-panel door in pilastered ashlar architrave with bracketed stone slab hood; a single sash window to each floor above door, otherwise paired sashes, all of 12 panes on ground floor and 1st floors, unequally-hung 9 panes on 2nd floor, and all with projecting stone sills; 1st floor platt band and sill band; ashlar parapet and coping rising to corniced end stacks. The rest of the main range has half-glaze doors and small-paned C20 2-light casement windows with projecting sills. Similar windows to wings, but some older small sashes to front end of right hand wing and doors of 4 and 6 panes. Half hipped roofs to wing gables. All ranges have blocked mullioned windows and 2-light casements as before to rear. The former chapel is of 1 storey with basement, 2 bays. On basement floor: doorways at ends with late-C20 glazed doors; between these a 30-pane sash, two late C20 casements, and a 4-pane sash. On ground floor a 6-panel door at each end with 2 tall, round- headed sashes with interlaced, glazing bars between them. Returns each have 2-light casements and late-C20 doors and windows to basement and on 1st floor 2 round- headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars and late C20 window. Interior of chapel retains 4-panel doors in reeded architraves. The original range of weavers’ houses is believed to have been built by Moggeridge and Joy, local textile mill owners. (VCH Wiltshire Vol II 1980).
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFF (south side)
6/225 Nos 1 to 14 (consec) The Old Court (formerly listed as Old Court Hotel) 13-11-62
Bradford Union Workhouse, now flats. 1790s, converted to workhouse 1835. Limestone ashlar, stone slate roof with coped verges and stone stacks. U-plan. Three storey, 11-window main range; three centre bays break forward. Central 4-panelled door with flat stone hood on pilasters, pair of 12-pane sashes either side, plat bands to first floor; pair of sashes, second floor has 9-pane sashes, moulded stone eaves. Ranges extending either side have half-glazed doors and four 2-light casements to ground, first and second floors. Wings projecting to front; the left hand truncated mid C20 and with four surviving bays of 2-light casements to ground, first and second floors. Right hand wing has ten bays of 2-light casements, 4 and 6-panelled doors. Rear of all ranges have 2-light casements, blocked- mullioned windows. Built as a block of industrial dwellings in 1790s and converted for use by the Bradford Union Workhouse in 1836, subsequently used as a hotel and flats. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol II, 1980)
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFF (south side)
6/226 Chapel at Nos 1-14 The Old Court
Chapel built for Bradford Union Workhouse. Circa 1835. Limestone ashlar, shallow pyramidal Welsh slate roof. Attached to rear of former workhouse (q.v. The Old Courts), entrance to first floor from higher ground level at rear. Two-storey, 2-window. Twenty- five-pane sashes and 4-pane sash to basement ground floor, entrance to first floor with 6-panelled door left and right and two round- headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars between. Left and right returns have 2-light casements and C20 windows to ground floor, two round-headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars to first floor. Interior altered C20, retains 4-panelled doors in reeded architraves.
Where is Ancliff Square chapel At Nos 1-4 The Old Court?
Ancliff Square chapel At Nos 1-4 The Old Court is located on Chapel At Nos 1-4 The Old Court, 1-4, Avoncliff, in Westwood, Wiltshire, BA15.
|Grid Reference||ST 80347 59929|
|Easting, Northing||380347, 159929.36084|
|Latitude, Longitude||51.33811, -2.283512|
|Grade listing||II (two)|
|English Heritage List Entry Number||1021780|